R. P. Sharma a prominent Shishya received a telegram from home saying that his mother was on death bed and was called at Aligarh immediately. He took the telegram and rushed to Gurgaon and showed it to Guruji. Guruji took the telegram and closed His hand and asked him to sit on the back seat and drove towards Aligarh on scooter.
In the middle of the way, Sharma ji said, “Guruji, it looks like, its raining behind us”. Guruji instructed him not to worry and kept on driving. Aligarh was about 100 Km. from that spot. All the time the rain was 25 to 30 feet behind Guruji and did not touch them till they reached the destination.
Guruji and R. P. Sharmaji reached home. They saw that all the relatives had gathered and the mother of R. P. Sharma was laying down on the floor in the midst and the lamp was lit on her head side as per the rituals. As per the systems of the village, the fire wood had also been arranged for the last rites. She was lying with closed eyes and was breathing softly. She was calm and quite.
As Guruji reached, He shouted, “Chaachi ! And then held her arm, pulled it up and made her stand on her feet saying, Let’s go to Delhi”. Quite a big lot of neighbourhood and relatives saw this happen but no one commented on the act of Guruji. All kept looking up at R. P. Sharma & Guruji. But the beautiful thing is that Chaachi enjoyed a good long holiday in Delhi.
Chaachi (as Sharma ji addressed his mother) was brought to Delhi by bus. She stayed with Sharma ji for 6 months in Delhi and then went to Aligarh after Guruji gave her permission. She lived for a couple of years after going back to Aligarh but visited Guruji also, time after time.
I am forced to hold my breath while remembering that happening, step by step… :
1. Guruji took the telegram and crushed it in his palm.
v 2. Guruji suspended all programmes of the day and took to a risky journey of 200 K.m. on a two wheeler. (scooter)
3. Rain continued for 3 hours and remained behind, not disturbing him till Guruji reached Aligarh.
4. Guruji commanded Chaachi to get up without bothering about her condition in practical or about the total arrangement of death ceremony and the gathering of relatives.
5. Commanding Sharma ji to take her to Delhi by bus –what a risk !
6. Final & amazing —Guruji knew what He was doing and also He recognized His ownself.